Monday, 14 July 2014

Hear me roar


After completing my third pair of Papercut anima pants and sending a pic of them to my sister, I received a message back from her stating I depicted a mountain lion. At first I was taken aback: I am not one that likes animal prints, in fact, I loathe animal prints. I also have quite an aversion to camouflage. I did hear someone refer to camouflage as a soldiers animal print (Red Foo on X factor maybe?). To me, camo should not be considered casual city wear – camo only belongs on soldiers as a strategy to hide from the enemy. Animal prints belong in the same category – unless you are trying to blend in on an African safari, animal prints are a definite no go. Hence you can understand my shock and horror when I received her message: ROAR. How did I get my fabric choice so wrong?

But then I had a thought: if I’m going to be any animal, a mountain lion is definitely one animal I’d like to depict. They are FIERCE. STRONG. TERRITORIAL. And a little bit SHY. In an instant, I decided to break away from my no animal print moto and wear these pants as hell, I am a mountain lion. I’m no meek little mouse. Hear me ROAR.
And so I’ve worn these pants out multiple times since they’ve been completed. I must admit to receiving a few weird looks from my work colleagues and the young, way-too-hip check-out chick at my local Coles, but screw you peeps – I am fierce.

Shall I say something actually about the sewing of these things? They are Papercut’s anima pants and they are my new favourite pattern. They are quick to sew up (once you master the waistband), and let’s face it, they’re funked up trackies. Plus, it doesn’t matter if you eat like a lion because these babies will stretch in all the right places. Score.

Sewing the waistband casing on
(without elastic - I leave a 2" gap at the back to
insert afterwards)
I did make a few changes to this pair. I decided to omit the top-stitching through the waistband and elastic as I liked the clean look of a straight black waistband (I looked at a fair few pairs of similar dressy pants in a Style mag (while at the hairdresser) and realised that the top-stitching seemed to be more prevalent on exercise pants). I also shortened the length of the cuff on these as my other pairs were super long. Oh, and I somehow made the faux fly face the opposite way, but that wasn’t intentional. 
Sewing the elastic together
(elastic pulled through the gap in the waistband)
That’s it really. I’m done now. I’ve made 4 pairs of these – the first my wearable muslin (a bright red pair that do not leave the house), my out of the ordinary pair, these ones, and a special slippery blue pair that are in a post bag making their way across the Nullarbor to my sister. As much as I love this anima pattern, it’s time to move on. What next? I just received a birthday package of French linen from my sister while she sauntered around Europe – maybe a French linen pair of Iris’s for my upcoming Bali holiday?

Oh, and a quick reminder about Papercut's anima comp in collaboration with the Fabric Store. The comp closes at the end of July so get your entries in.


10 comments:

  1. Grrrrr roar
    He he. Definitely a sexy mountain lion. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Grrrrrr (with a sexy little wink) :)

      Delete
  2. I think you mean a concrete jungle lion! Anyway, I like these pants and in fact like them more than your other ones. Winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love some good concrete Kirsty! Lucky we're surrounded by the stuff. Thanks for the anima love.

      Delete
  3. These are FIERCE!!!! Own that awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to get on board the anima train Amanda. You would rock this pattern.

      Delete
  4. Love these pants on you! Make more! Are you able to explain how you attached the waist band in a little more detail? I am onto my third pair in a week and am unhappy with the band again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheekychacha. Sorry about my delay in responding. I'm probably too late to offer some waistband advice, but I'll send you an email with some clearer instructions. Good luck. I'd love to see your anima creations too.

      Delete