Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Out of the ordinary

The other day I attended a resilience and conflict resolution seminar (obviously my workplace is trying to make itself a shiny, happy place to be), and the presenter said one thing that resonated with me: that you wouldn’t worry about what people thought about you if you realised how seldom they thought.


How does this relate to me sewing? Well, for as long as I have been sewing my own clothes, I become this anxious, mess of a person the first time I wear my own-made garment. We’re talking increased heart rate, sweaty palms and hell, there have been occasions when I’ve broken out in hives. It’s crazy, but I have this little voice in my head that questions if what I am wearing is a) good enough to be worn outside the house, b) if people will point, laugh and ridicule me for my outfits, or even worse, c) notice my wonky stitches and declare me a failed seamstress.

Given my anxious reaction, you’d think I would have given up sewing by now, or at least abstain from wearing my makes out of the house. But I haven’t because I love making my own things, and the act of sewing is actually calming (for me anyway). With the presenter’s words resonating in my ears, I realised it was time to wear whatever I want because the reality is my new garment is probably not what my colleagues are thinking about.

So on that note, I embraced the unconventional and sewed up a pair of ‘out of the ordinary’ pants. And surprisingly, I love the result. So much so that I pushed my monochromatic work clothes aside, paired these pants with boots and strutted into work. And you know what? I didn’t worry what people thought.

These pants are Papercut’s latest pattern, the Anima Pant. When I first saw these I imagined comfy, lounge pants or exercise pants. I didn’t imagine a pair I could wear to work. But after Papercut announced their Anima competition, I was inspired to turn these comfy pants into an extraordinary work outfit.

The pants themselves came together relatively easy. I have sewn my fair share of papercut patterns and I love the simplicity of the instructions, coupled with diagrams. My only qualm with this pattern would be with the insertion of the waistband. The instructions call for sewing the waistband edge to the edge of the elastic and then rolling the elastic inside the waistband to cover the seam allowance. I tried this on my muslin, and the result was a dogs breakfast – there seemed to be too much material and I struggled to attach the bottom of the turned over waistband/elastic to the pants. It was bulky around the seam and definitely not pretty. For my real pants (the real deal), I decided to attach the whole waistband to the pants, leaving a 2” gap at the back of the pants to insert the elastic – I then pulled the elastic through, overlapped the elastic (as per the instructions) and sewed the elastic into a loop. I sewed up the gap, distributed the ‘gathers’ and top-stitched the two lines through the elastic and waistband, stretching as I went. Voila.

I am definitely happy with these pants. If you haven’t tried out the pattern, I would definitely recommend them. They are as close to wearing pyjamas as you can get. All I need is to sneak in my uggs under my desk at work, change shoes and I’m sure I can visualise myself snuggled up on the couch instead of punching away at my keyboard. A little bit of comfy bliss to counteract the drudgery of work. A definite winner.

14 comments:

  1. Your fabric choice really make your pants. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. The fabric is definitely not my usual colour palette.

      Delete
  2. I think that this fabric is a real winner and is the perfect counter balance to our wintery weather of late. We all need to take heart with those words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. Yep, a little bit of colour is definitely needed to cut through out wintery weather.

      Delete
  3. You know, in all honesty, i wasn't totally loving the fabric when you showed it to us a few weeks ago. I too was thinking "happy pants"!! But i really love these pants! The fabric really seems to fit with the pattern, and the "look". You are definitely onto a winner there (hint hint papercut ;) ) I want to see them in real life now so i can check out the waistband, and did you put the ankle band on too??
    Ps, you look totally stunning, Kirsty, you have really captured her beauty :) Love you both xx jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Jen. Yes, they do scream happy pants... and then do make me smile when I'm wearing them. Yes, I did put on the ankle band - the band itself is a little too big for my liking, but I'll show you them in person. x

      Delete
  4. OMG Myra you are the absolute bomb in these trews! Love love love them. The fabric is amazing. Will you wear them Sunday so we can take a closer look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I love them too :) Methinks I need to make another pair. I'm going to bring back lounge wear for work :)

      Delete
  5. These pants are amazing and well done for embracing the fear, moving past it and conquering it! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wonder if all seamstresses doubt their ability and finished products?

      Delete
  6. Cool pants! They looks so great! I absolutely love the fabric, and they look fantastic with the boots you're wearing. Feeling inspired to make myself a pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bella. Do make a pair yourself. They are so comfy and the pattern's very versitile. Thanks for the love.

      Delete
  7. Wowee. So on trend! I love these pants. Good job Mysie. Ps you make a sexy fantastic model. You shouldn't ever be self conscious in your makes. I bet all your colleagues are jealous. I would love to wear them. Shell x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sis. So these are on the 'Shell's to make' list too? Much love. x

      Delete