Thursday, 12 June 2014

Because one was not enough

You know how when I really like a finished make, I seem to make that make over and over again until someone tells me ‘enough is enough’? Well, today I present to you my second striped ensis…. because one striped ensis wasn’t enough.


Funnily though, this ensis looks totally different to my cream and beige striped one. I have racked my brain as to why the fit is so much more fitted in this one, and I just don’t get it! The only thing I can think of is that because the fabric is much thinner, maybe when I was laying out the fabric and trying to coax the selvage ends straight (instead of wonky and warped), I stretched the fabric and then proceeded to cut it slightly stretched? In which case on relaxing I lost some width? Who knows! However it happened, I like the result. I like that it seems dressier than my other one. And I like that different fabrics made up into the same pattern can yield totally different results. It adds a touch of mystery to sewing.


I don’t really know if there is a lot to say about this make, as I have already blogged about the other. I successfully matched all of the stripes along the side seams, sleeve seams and at the base of the armscye. I have come to the realisation that it is impossible to totally match the stripes over the sleeve head. Duh. Definitely a ditsy moment.

I think this ensis will be on high rotation, matched with black work pants, my self-drafted mini (as in the pictures), my moss or even with skinny jeans. Oh, and it would look great with the grey papercut pleated pants currently on my sewing table.


My only problem is that we are now in the height of winter and this top just isn’t warm enough to brave the outdoors. I swear I had to defrost in front of the heater for an hour after these photos were taken. Unfortunately I foresee this ensis hanging in my wardrobe for a couple of months, begging to be worn but overlooked until the sun decides to shine again. Damn winter. At least it will give me a new top to wear come spring.


I’ve been sewing up a storm lately… and I think I have a date with my sewing machine on Sunday. Hopefully I’ll be able to blog about my papercut pleated pants next week. Oh, and I am toying with the idea of entering the papercut anima pant competition. I bought the most outrageous bold patterned fabric last weekend with these in mind… they will either end up uber funky, or plain ridiculous. If nothing else, they will definitely make me smile. I’m bringing back happy pants.



2 comments:

  1. I love this fabric so much on you (I love it on me too - when I get around to buying it and making it up! he he!)

    I think add a warm cami and it would be perfectly fine for winter! Well, inside anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I actually have a cami under this, but i think I need a full long sleeved thermal so that it is winter-friendly. I did wear it to a conference yesterday - it was perfect inside with the heater on. hehe.

      It would look perfect on you too. I'm sure there's still some down at a2f... & not too pricey :)

      Delete