Sunday, 11 May 2014

A gym incentive – my merino hoodie


I decided the other week that I needed to take a leap from my coco-sigma loop, and dive on into sewing something new. I started off with my self-drafted mini, but that didn’t really count as it was just a tube with a waistband. I knew I needed a new sewing project, but I couldn’t really decide what… but then I remembered my Papercut Undercover Hood pattern sitting on my shelf. I’d been convincing myself that I needed to get back to the gym, and what better incentive then a new hoodie to wear? I had a few meters of grey merino fabric sitting in my stash (I can’t even remember what I bought this for), so had everything on hand to sew this baby up while recovering from tonsillitis. No notions needed. No need to leave the house. It was as simple as ready, set, go.

I didn’t bother with a muslin as I knew it was a loose-fitting hoodie with a decent amount of positive ease, so I went straight ahead and cut the smallest size, the XXS (side note – I do find papercut patterns run on the large size). I had read a few blog posts where people had noted considerable length in the sleeves and also in the body, so I didn’t cut the cuffs or hem band until I tried on the (almost) completed hoodie. As it was, the length was perfect so I made no alterations at all.


The only thing I did do was stabilise the pocket openings with cotton tape as the merino weight is fairly light and I thought the pocket might gape. I don’t think the pocket would be suitable for actually holding anything, but it’s nice to warm my hands in. I also didn’t have the right colour thread, but decided I could sew the top-stitching in black as a design feature. Ha. Only problem is I didn’t use my twin needle and instead attempted to sew parallel lines around the pocket. I made a dog’s breakfast of the top-stitching, but luckily the black blends in (kind of).


So far my hoodie hasn’t reached the gym, although it’s had a fair amount of wear on the couch. I did wear it out to my sewing sess on Saturday, and paired it with jeans (not actually the look I was after but I needed pics for here and thought wearing gym gear to my sewing sess was a little too weird – sewists are supposed to be fashionistas, are we not?). Anyway, maybe I need to pair my hoodie with some Ooh La Leggings?? I did just order some merino/lycra fabric from NZ. No. No more procrastination. Sewing must wait.  It’s to the gym tomorrow for me in my stylish hoodie!

6 comments:

  1. This looks fab and I think it looks great teamed with the boots and jeans. I can imagine nothing better than snuggling in a hoodie whilst feeling a bit blurgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian. Agreed - this is the perfect hoodie to lounge around in. It is super comfy. I may have to make a another :)

      Delete
  2. Who takes those great photos Myra!! This is a great make and if anything was going to get me to the gym it would be a hoodie like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bhahaha. The photographer is a pretty awesome person. Thanks Kirsty.

      Delete
  3. My dear, i turned up to sewing in my "taking lots of children to soccer in the cold" outfit, you would still have looked slick in your gym gear and THAT hoodie, compared to my sorry arse ;)
    And yes, you found yourself a really good photographer, i bet she is super lovely and gives fabric offcuts to needy liberty wannabies ;)
    xx jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jen. You always look fabulous :) Thanks for the hoodie love. I think I may need to make more of these to get through this chilly Canberra winter! Brrrr. x

    ReplyDelete