Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Hot box

My sewing room is a hot box. For any international peeps reading: Australia is experiencing an extreme heat wave. I feel for those Adelaidians and Melbourne folk who are sweltering in the mid 40’s. We here in the ‘Berra have only just tipped 40, but let me tell you, it is HOT. Damn friggin’ hot. And my sewing room is a hot box. It gets the afternoon sun, and I drip with sweat just walking in there (yep, no air-con for me!!). Seriously, I think I’d drop a few kilos from excessive sweating if I attempted to sew for a couple of hours. This weather is just not conducive to sewing - my palms are sweaty, my forehead beads with sweat, and I just can't concentrate. So until it cools down, there won’t be any sewing done in my home.
What I can show you though is my partially sewn Sigma in Guerilla Gardening Liberty lawn. I am so excited to finish this as I want to wear it and my first Sigma was really just a trial run for this baby…. but I must be patient. Be gone heat wave, be gone!!


Anyway, so far I have sewn all the darts and put together the bodice and attached the sleeves. It’s just the skirt, pockets, zipper, facing and the hems to go. A cool front is forecast for Sunday, so fingers crossed I can finish this then. If not, I must learn that patience is a virtue.
On other exciting news, I got my son’s competition schedule last night, and it looks like I will be up in Sydney mid-February for a weekend. I haven’t told him yet that after the comps on Saturday, we will be perusing a few fabric and button shops before driving home. He's not going to be happy. Maybe I'll spring it on him after the comp. mwa ha ha (evil laugh).
I hope everyone else out there is coping with this heat. I see there is a definitely lack of blogging going on - maybe a sign that we are all 'working late' (eg. benefitting from the air con at work).

9 comments:

  1. Oh myra! You poor thing no air con in your house : (
    maybe you can get your husband to hang out with your boy after the comp to free you up for shopping? Stay cool : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it's ok Tara - only one more night of heat to go until the cool change. As for hubby - nope, no hubby here. I am a single parent. Boyfriend, yes, but hubby, no. So it'll just be me and Aidan for the comp.

      Delete
    2. If Aidan kicks up a fuss- just tell him that you will lose six hours in driving time! So patience goes both ways :) looking forward to seeing your liberty Sigma :)

      Delete
  2. This dress is going to look so good! I haven't sewn all week - it's just too hot! I'm off to Sydney on Saturday and can't wait to fabric shop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you. Sydney fabric shoping this weekend!! You'll have to tell me what Liberty you buy - I'm looking for a couple fo the new season prints - especially the Isabel Susan in blue (I'm thinking about putting in an order through fabric.com in the US). I haven't sewn all week either - the half finished Sigma I started last weekend before the heat hit. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully with Sunday's cool change it allowed you to finish your Sigma :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Natalia. Yep, finished my sigma on Sunday :) - I'm wearing it today but haven't had a chance to photograph it for my blog. Thank goodness for the cool change.

      Delete
    4. Shaukat.com is really great for Liberty. The prices are really good!

      Delete
    5. Thanks Kirsty - I have ordered some new Liberty from Shaukat and can't wait for it to arrive!

      Delete