Sunday, 15 December 2013

Finished: Papercut Ensis tee

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a few patterns from Papercut. Papercut patterns had been mentioned a few times in a few of the sewing blogs that I follow, so I jumped on board and thought I’d give this new(ish) designer a try. And oh-my-goodness, I am so glad I did. The designer behind the Papercut Collective is one seriously clever kiwi. To start with the patterns are AMAZING. The envelope is laser cut card and converts into a hanger to hang your pattern, ensuring you don’t lose the cut out pattern pieces. Ingenious! The pattern pieces are sturdy instead of flimsy tissue paper and the whole thing is made out of 100% recycled products. But more than anything, they look beautiful and they make me smile. Receiving a bunch of these patterns in the mail last week made me beam for hours.
After much deliberation, I decided to make the Ensis tee first as I am really trying to make some everyday staples for my wardrobe. I decided to convert it into a short sleeved number by omitting the bottom section of the sleeve and adding a binding, just like the neck-line. I bought some cotton jersey from Addicted to Fabric during their sale, and made this up in navy and cream.
I can’t talk up the pattern enough. It was simple to follow and sewing the sleeves in flat made sewing the whole thing so easy and straightforward. I did make a small adjustment at the hem, but more because I had a change of heart than anything to do with the pattern. I had originally cut out version 2 with the curved hemline, but when I tried it on it looked odd with the sleeve and neck-line binding, so I chopped it off and replaced it with the same sort of edging. Only problem is that it ended up a tad on the short side.
The only thing that I would change is to take out a bit of fullness from the width in the bottom section of the tee making it a little more fitted. I made the XXS and it’s a bit billowy on me, so maybe I’ll take out an inch or two in the side seam at the bottom and taper it into the underarm.
I wore this to work yesterday and got a compliment from one of my friends – in fact, she asked me if I’d consider making one for her. That’s the ultimate compliment to both Papercut and me. Big smiles.


6 comments:

  1. Hi, the top looks great - even with the last minute change. If you like Papercut and Colette patterns have a look and join some Flickr groups. Man these ladies can sew!! Most of them reply to you in a flash and have helped me with some niggly problems about the fit on some tops. What other Papercut designs have you bought? My nan (don't laugh) helped me make the Saiph Tunic a couple months ago. Saiph is awesome if you're a preggo (like me) or like to lunch hard ;)
    Glad your friends like the top, it might even inspire them to start sewing.
    Gillian : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian. Congrats on the pregnancy. Sewing maternity clothes must be a challenge! I have a flickr account and have added some pics on there, but I am a little slow on posted them. I agree, there are some awesome seamstresses out there - I aspire to be able to sew as good as them. I have 4 Papercut patterns - the Ensis, the Undercover Hood, the Rigel Bomber and a dress (can't quite remember which one right now). I aim to sew these up in the NY as there won't be much sewing done over the Chrissie period. Have a great Christmas. Myra

      Delete
  2. Oh no... Not another sewing blog that I've lost my wife to! Found this on the task bar and I'm hoping she reads it! No more Tara! Have I lost you to the dark side???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Dave - at least she hasn't started her own blog yet! Welcome Tara :)

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry. My husband is a bit of a clown and I'm a bit embarrassed by him. Please delete his comment if it's inappropriate. I've become hooked on sewing and according to my husband I'm reading too many blogs. I've bought a few Colette patterns and your sewing accounts are very helpful. Hope you keep posting more Colette gear. Tara

      Delete
    3. Hi Tara. I wasn't offended - not in the slightest. I read a lot of sewing blogs myself... Maybe too many. I'm just glad that someone is actually reading what I blog about & finds it helpful. Ill post some more about Colette patterns in the new year. Not much sewing will get done over the next few weeks I'm afraid. Have a good Xmas.

      Delete