Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Finished: Blue linen Colette iris shorts


I’ve finally finished my Colette iris shorts that have been sitting on my sewing table for a few weeks. I sewed them up in a navy blue pinstripe linen that I bought from Addicted to Fabric with the intention of making a panelled dress (using the stripes as a feature in the bodice panel). But I decided I didn’t like the dress pattern I had in mind so a chunk of the linen became these shorts.


The shorts came together quite easily and they would have been quick to make if I hadn’t kept getting distracted doing other things. The instructions were easy to follow – I love Colette patterns for their diagrams with each step and their inserted descriptions on top-stitching, under-stitching etc. It really makes sewing a new pattern much easier.

I made these up in a straight size 4, and although they fit, I’d say that they are a little on the loose side and that maybe I should try the 2. I think they are supposed to sit further up on the waist but mine definitely sit lower down. I also think that they are a little too flared at the bottom of the legs – I received a comment yesterday when I was wearing these out and about that they were a cute pair of culottes. I definitely wasn’t going for the culottes look… or even the ‘cute’ look but I appreciated the compliment. The next pair I make I might reduce the amount of flare by taking in an inch from the bottom side seam and tapering it into the waist.
The pockets of these are a nice feature but not really practical – I don’t think I could get my phone or even a few coins in the pocket without them looking bulky in the crotch region (definitely not a good look). I made the facing of the waist band and the pockets out of a mustard cotton voile – the fabric peeks out of the pockets even with the buttons done up, but I love the fabric so that doesn’t really bother me. In fact, I like that the mustard breaks up the blue.
All in all I’m happy with the finished garment. Although I’m still a little unsure as to if they actually look ok on me. I’m a skirt and dress girl really, so to me shorts just look odd. Oh, and the fabric was probably a bad choice – it crumples and creases like a b*tch. No amount of steam and ironing seems to flatten these babies. But I must like them because I’ve worn them twice in the last week. And I have many plans for them over the Christmas break – lunch out with the fam, a winery visit. Maybe I need another pair - maybe in denim? Hmm, with or without pockets?

2 comments:

  1. They are so not culottes but I think they look really nice on you. I really like the pockets although agree that I don't really put anything in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. Yep, I think the pockets are definitely only a design feature. Just finishing off my papercut ensis tee which will go perfect with these.

      Delete